- Intermediate/Advanced Level Master Class with Malgosia Lis (see Biography below)
- December Sunday, 15, 2019
- Students must have an intermediate or advanced level piece memorized and ready to perform in front of an audience of peers and teachers. Student will receive feedback during their allotted time.
- Teachers interested in having students play in the Master Class may submit students via email to Houry Schmeizl. In the email, please list student name, age, length of study, and piece title and composer.
- Five students will be selected from all entries to perform in the Master Class.
- Application deadline is November 15, 2019.
Malgosia Lis earned her Master of Music in Piano Pedagogy at the Paderewski University of Music in Poznan, Poland. While there, she was on the piano faculty at the Music School for Talented Youth. She is a faculty member at the Hartt School Community Division in West Hartford, CT, where she is the Coordinator for the Suzuki Piano Department, Piano Coordinator for the Chamber Music Program and the Piano Coordinator for the Hartt Suzuki Summer Institute.
Her students have participated and received numerous prizes at the following piano events: J. Y. Park Piano Competition, Renee B. Fisher Competition, Rhode Island University Piano Competition, Chopin International Competition in Hartford, Musical Club of Hartford Competition, CT Bach Festival, MTNA State Competition, Virtuoso Pianists Competition, Czech Republic Piano Competition in Ustii, Bach International Competition in Gorzow, Poland, and Audrey Thayer Competition. Her students were selected to perform at the every Suzuki Conference Masterclass since the year 2010. They were also selected to perform at the Connecticut State Music Teachers Association Conference in 2013.
Malgosia is frequently invited as a masterclass teacher/clinician to Piano Workshops and Institutes, among them the Dallas Piano Workshop, Queens College Piano Workshop, New England Suzuki Institute, Maine Sonata Festival, Detroit Piano Weekend, Suzuki Music School of Westport, and The School for Strings in NY City. In 2011 and 2012 she published a series of articles about Chopin in American Suzuki Journal for which she translated some of Chopin’s letters. The articles are available in spiral bound book on Suzuki Association website.
Malgosia has served as Vice-President of Hartford Chapter CSMTA from 2001-2004, the Chair of the Audrey Thayer Competition for 6 years and board member of the North Central Chapter of Music Teachers National Association.
She is a founding member of Hartford Music Teachers Alliance, where she is currently the Membership Chair. Malgosia lives in West Hartford with her husband Jaroslaw, a violinist, and is a mother of three (and a mother-in-law of one!) lovely children ages, 28, 24, and almost 18!